The festive season is a time that many of us look forward to, a great opportunity to get together with friends and families and reconnect.
For sufferers of hearing loss however, the thought of spending time in a group of people may become stressful… missing punchlines, asking for repeats constantly, only hearing half the conversation above the noise of others talking can create anxiety and make some people want to withdraw from social gatherings.
For sufferers of hearing loss however, the thought of spending time in a group of people may become stressful… missing punchlines, asking for repeats constantly… can create anxiety for many…
Here are some tips to make the festive season more enjoyable:
- For Hearing Aid wearers – get prepared, make sure that your devices are working properly. Drop into your hearing clinic to have them cleaned and serviced well before the festive season.
- Make sure you have plenty of batteries to last you through the holiday period.
- Have your ears checked for earwax and get it removed if needed. Earwax in your ears can make the hearing aids whistle and this can be embarrassing for many wearers.
- It is okay to let people know that you are hard of hearing so they need to speak clearly.
- For those important conversations, ask if you can go to a quieter part of the room or turn the Christmas music down a little bit; switch off the TV if no-one is actually watching to cut down on the background noise in the room
- Good lighting allows us to see people’s faces and improve all the non-verbal cues in communication which can help significantly.
- If you know a family member wears hearing aids and has trouble hearing, make sure you use effective communication by getting their attention first, slow down what you are saying and make sure they can see your face when you are talking to them.
Everybody has a responsibility to ensure that we all feel included. Remember, it takes two to communicate! Everyone can do their bit to enjoy the festive season!
Ability Hearing and Balance is an independent, Tasmanian owned hearing clinic located across Tasmania. We fit all brands of hearing aids and pride ourselves on transparency and integrity. Our pricing is often thousands of dollars cheaper than the big chains so consider supporting a local small business. We value you as individuals. Contact us on 1300 EAR PRO (1300 327 776) to see why our clients choose to trust us with their hearing needs.